Indian Journal of Anaesthesia  
About us | Editorial board | Search | Ahead of print | Current Issue | Past Issues | Instructions
Home | Login  | Users Online: 3141  Print this pageEmail this pageSmall font sizeDefault font sizeIncrease font size    




 
 Table of Contents    
LETTERS TO EDITOR
Year : 2019  |  Volume : 63  |  Issue : 10  |  Page : 865-866  

Surgical site fire during surgery in operating room under general anaesthesia


1 Department of Anaesthesiology and Critical Care, Armed Forces Medical College, Pune, Maharashtra, India
2 Department of Radiation Oncology, Command Hospital (SC), Pune, Maharashtra, India

Date of Submission04-May-2019
Date of Decision26-May-2019
Date of Acceptance26-Jun-2019
Date of Web Publication10-Oct-2019

Correspondence Address:
Dr. Shalendra Singh
Department of Anaesthesiologist and Critical Care, Armed Forces Medical College, Pune - 411 040, Maharashtra
India
Login to access the Email id

Source of Support: None, Conflict of Interest: None


DOI: 10.4103/ija.IJA_347_19

Rights and Permissions

How to cite this article:
Singh S, Kate S, Bhan S, Suhag V. Surgical site fire during surgery in operating room under general anaesthesia. Indian J Anaesth 2019;63:865-6

How to cite this URL:
Singh S, Kate S, Bhan S, Suhag V. Surgical site fire during surgery in operating room under general anaesthesia. Indian J Anaesth [serial online] 2019 [cited 2019 Dec 7];63:865-6. Available from: http://www.ijaweb.org/text.asp?2019/63/10/865/268714



Sir,

Operating room (OR) fires, although considered rare, are preventable adverse events associated with a high morbidity and mortality. Despite taking all safety precautions and abiding by all the recommendations for fire prevention, such unintentional events do occur. The prerequisites for every fire are an ignition source, a fuel source, and an oxidiser. Notably, among the vast majority of cases reported worldwide, very few have been described in detail till date.[1] Herein, we report a case of a lady undergoing surgery under general anaesthesia, who experienced an OR fire related to the use of alcohol-based solution ignited by monopolar electrocautery.

A 33-year-old female, a case of carcinoma right buccal mucosa planned for wide marginal mandibulectomy under general anaesthesia. The trachea was nasally intubated with flexometallic tube as per institution protocol. The surgical site was cleaned and draped by surgeons. They used povidone-iodine solution followed by isopropyl alcohol solution for cleaning. After preparing the site and allowing at least 2 min drying time, surgery was started. A 5cm skin incision was made using a scalpel in the usual fashion. During the first activation of the electrosurgical unit a muffled “pop” was heard. This was followed almost immediately by the appearance of fire at the head end. Surgeons quickly flushed the fire with saline and removed the burning gauze and drape from patient skin. Fire protocol was activated, oxygen was turned off, and patient was ventilated manually with air using a resuscitation bag. The fire lasted for 10--15 s from ignition to complete extinction resulting in second degree burn. By the time fire was down, the patient suffered second-degree skin burns over face. On careful examination, it was observed that the alcohol solution had seeped into the hair of the patient around the right ear under the drapes. The residual alcohol film on the skin had caught fire from the sparks of the electrocautery igniting the fire. Patient was haemodynamically stable. Surgery was resumed after swiftly painting and draping the surgical site again. After putting down the fire, surgery was completed and patient was extubated and shifted to surgical ICU for postoperative care. Postoperatively on examination by reconstructive surgeons, the patient was found to have sustained second-degree superficial partial thickness burn [Figure 1].
Figure 1: Postoperative image of head and neck showing second-degree superficial partial thickness burn

Click here to view


Intraoperative fires occur more commonly than most people recognise. Alcohol-based solution is a well-known cause of fire in the OR.[2] The point to consider is that in head and neck surgeries, when alcohol-based preparation is used, it can trickle down into the hair of the patient and may take time to evaporate. Taking all necessary precautions to prevent such fires is most important in all surgeries. Firstly, only as much quantity of alcohol as required should be used and secondly, draping should be done only when residual alcohol vapours get evaporated beneath the hair (especially long hair of female patients).

Declaration of patient consent

The authors certify that they have obtained all appropriate patient consent forms. In the form the patient(s) has/have given his/her/their consent for his/her/their images and other clinical information to be reported in the journal. The patients understand that their names and initials will not be published and due efforts will be made to conceal their identity, but anonymity cannot be guaranteed.

Financial support and sponsorship

Nil.

Conflicts of interest

There are no conflicts of interest.



 
   References Top

1.
Mehta SP, Bhananker SM, Posner KL, Domino KB. Operating room fires: A closed claims analysis. Anesthesiology 2013;118:1133-9.  Back to cited text no. 1
    
2.
Patel R, Chavda KD, Hukkeri S. Surgical field fire and skin burns caused by alcohol-based skin preparation. J Emerg Trauma Shock 2010;3:305.  Back to cited text no. 2
[PUBMED]  [Full text]  


    Figures

  [Figure 1]



 

Top
 
  Search
 
    Similar in PUBMED
   Search Pubmed for
   Search in Google Scholar for
    Access Statistics
    Email Alert *
    Add to My List *
* Registration required (free)  

 
  In this article
    References
    Article Figures

 Article Access Statistics
    Viewed436    
    Printed3    
    Emailed0    
    PDF Downloaded99    
    Comments [Add]    

Recommend this journal