Indian Journal of Anaesthesia

CASE REPORT
Year
: 2012  |  Volume : 56  |  Issue : 4  |  Page : 405--407

Cardiac arrest following ventilator fire: A rare cause


K Nazeer Ahmed1, Babu P Kattimani2, Ramakanth Baloorkar2 
1 Department of Anaesthesia, Al Ameen Medical College, Bijapur, Karnataka, India
2 Department of Surgery, BLDE'S, Medical College, Bijapur, Karnataka, India

Correspondence Address:
K Nazeer Ahmed
Department of Anaesthesialogy and Critical Care, Al Ameen Medical College, Bijapur - 586 108, Karnataka
India

Operating room fires are rare events, but when occur they result in serious and sometimes fatal consequences. Anaesthesia ventilator fire leading to cardiac arrest is a rare incident and has not been reported. We report a near catastrophic ventilator fire leading to cardiac arrest in a patient undergoing subtotal thyroidectomy. In the present case sparks due to friction or electrical short circuit within the ventilator might have acted as source of ignition leading to fire and explosion in the oxygen rich environment. The patient was successfully resuscitated and revived with uneventful recovery and no adverse sequelae. The cardiac arrest was possibly due to severe hypoxia resulting from inhalation of smoke containing high concentrations of carbon monoxide and other noxious gases.


How to cite this article:
Ahmed K N, Kattimani BP, Baloorkar R. Cardiac arrest following ventilator fire: A rare cause.Indian J Anaesth 2012;56:405-407


How to cite this URL:
Ahmed K N, Kattimani BP, Baloorkar R. Cardiac arrest following ventilator fire: A rare cause. Indian J Anaesth [serial online] 2012 [cited 2020 Aug 3 ];56:405-407
Available from: http://www.ijaweb.org/article.asp?issn=0019-5049;year=2012;volume=56;issue=4;spage=405;epage=407;aulast=Ahmed;type=0